The lobster season is upon us. Last year, a disaster thanks to Irma. Traps blown all over.
This year another disaster. The tariff war with China. The Keys sell millions of dollars a year of spiny lobsters to China. The Chinese love spiny lobsters! So much so that on occasion they are willing to pay anything to get them.
The Key West Weekly 8/9/18 had an excellent article on the subject. The thrust how the China/U.S. trade war will affect the Keys lobster season. Titled: Too Soon To Tell.
Irma literally blew the season away last year. However, all was not lost. Many of the traps which were strewn all over the ocean bottom were able to be relocated. The relocated lobsters have had an extra year to grow and hopefully will be sold this season..
Ergo, an abundance of lobsters available for sale.
The problem is cost per pound. The average the past 2 years between $9.50 and $10.50 per pound. A wholesaler must sell for at least $6 to $7 a pound to break even. China is the Keys biggest customer. Tariffs imposed by both the U.S. and China the problem.
The U.S. tariff is 25 percent. China imposed a retaliatory tariff of 17 percent. The combined tariffs add 42 percent onto the normal cost of the lobsters.
A lot of money.
The Asian holidays are approaching. If China is consistent and does not care of the cost, the season will be banner one. There is something about spiny lobsters that suggests such will be the case. The Chinese love them and generally are willing to pay!
The highest per pound cost China has ever paid was $20.50.
Local wholesalers do not appear concerned. Noting however that China is the key.
Time will tell.
Chart Room first last night. I almost left when I first arrived.
A number of 40 year olds were celebrating some sort of reunion. Loud. Boisterous. Cigar smoking.
Big time noise and cigar smoke thick enough to cut with a knife a couple of steps too far. I sat it out for a while at the bar with David, Cindy and Steve.
My thought…..Deliver me!
After a while, they up and left. A new world! The quiet overwhelming. The cigar smoke soon dissipated. Everything kumbaya.
Stomach grumbling. Time to eat. Headed over to Blue Macaw. No room at the bar. Left.
Headed over to Sandy’s Cafe. Finished the evening off with a Cuban cheese toast with tomato and a large Cuban coffee.
Then to home and bed. An early evening.
Florida has early voting. Began this year August 13. Ends August 25. I will probably vote next week.
My voting place is the County Office Building on Whitehead. I vote where Key West residents vote. I am a Key West resident.
I live at the golf course. Many many homes. Most on Stock Island. A handful totaling 40 built on Key West land. I live in one of those homes. Ergo, vote in Key West and for Key West candidates.
The weatherman’s humor showing again. Afternoon thunderstorms predicted. His add on tidbit: Afternoon wake up – loud!
Means big time thunder. Thunder by the ocean loud booming. Scares dogs and humans alike.
BOB has not written in over a week. Only one chapter left. Concerns politics and politicians. BOB’s viewpoint as one would expect. Tomorrow or the next day, BOB will finish up.
Two deaths the past few days. One after another. Yesterday, Arthea Franklin, the Queen of Soul. Fondly remembered by most. Certain anti-blacks probably did not care.
The day before, Trump took away John Brennan’s security clearance. A petty move by a small man. Brennan a former head of the CIA. A man who performed exceptionally under 6 consecutive Presidents.
A piece of America, a piece of democracy, died by Trump’s action.
Wake up America! Day by day, Trump does one or more things adversely affecting our freedoms.
Enjoy your day!