Blog writing is interesting. Takes me to all kinds of places. Yesterday, world events. Today, primarily Key West. Some days, a mixture.
Whatever moves me at the moment.
Lunched at Hogfish yesterday with Guy de Boer. Guy publishes KONK Life. He has graciously agreed to run a photo of me and my Irma book in KONK Life. The whole front page!
Guy picked Hogfish for lunch. He wanted to get a photo of me and the shrimp boats together. Why shrimp boats, I do not know. My connection with shrimp boats next to nil.
The nil has a bit of substance.
First, the song. Shrimp Boats. A 1951 hit sung by the popular vocalist Jo Stafford. It was co-written by her husband Paul Weston.
The words come back every time I see a shrimp boat: Shrimp boats is a-comin’ / Their sails are in sight / Shrimp boats is a-comin’ / There’s dancin’ tonight…..
I was 15 years old the first time I heard Shrimp Boats. We were visiting family in the Bronx. I was outside standing in front of a then typical New York City candy store with a bunch of other teenagers. The location, 141st Street.
The song came out of a radio in the candy store. The others began humming and quietly singing the tune. I had never heard it before. The tune was catchy. Later in high school, I danced to ShrimpBoats.
Rarely thought of the tune after that till the mid 1990’s when I started visiting Key West. There were shrimp boats in Key West!
I learned that when you saw tons of them on the horizon off South Roosevelt Boulevard, they were hurrying in to avoid a coming storm. That was the moment. That was the picture. Such gave meaning to Shrimp boats is a-comin’ / Their sails are in sight.
Me, Irma and the shrimp boats will appear in KONK Life in the next week or two.
Last night the Chart Room. A good time. John bartending. David came in. Good conversation.
A while later, Jean Thornton’s two visiting sisters arrived with their men.
The Chart Room was off and running!
Stopped at Tavern ‘n Town on the way home. Another prime rib. I lost 5 pounds in the past 10 days. Why, I do not know. I have been on this diet since November 27. Lost 10 pounds the first two weeks. Not another pound till 10 days ago. Were it not that I was losing inches, I would have given up long ago.
Not the blind leading the blind. But, sort of. My lesbian wives Donna and Terri left yesterday by car for Tampa. Terri to undergo two days of serious testing at the cancer facility that replaced all her bone marrow and blood.
The tests important.
Donna broke her left shoulder a few days ago. Her left arm is wrapped tight to her chest. She is driving. Terri cannot drive more than a 100 miles at a time. They have broken the trip down so it will take 3 days to reach Tampa.
I mentioned in my tuesday night podcast Tuesday Talk with Key West Lou that the election of a person such as Trump served as encouragement for other crazies to run for public office.
It is happening in Missouri.
Senator Claire McCaskill is running for reelection. The word is she has a tough race ahead.
Several seek the Republican nomination to run against her. One is Courtland Sykes.
What I am about to relate was printed in a St. Louis newspaper in September. An interview. Sykes ran the interview on Facebook a few days ago where I found it.
If he is the Republican candidate, it will be a battle of the sexes.
Sykes is not married. He is engaged.
Following is what he expects from his fiance when she is his wife and his thoughts regarding women.
- When he arrives home in the evening, he expects his dinner on the table at 6. Prepared by his wife.
- Their daughters must learn to cook. He wants them raised to be traditional homemakers and family wives.
- His home is to be a Norman Rockwell world.
- Feminism is radical. Its definition crazy.
- Women have “snake filled heads.”
- He does not want his daughters growing up to be “career obsessed banshees” who forego home life and children to become “manophobic hell-beat feminist she devils.”
- Hillary Clinton’s loss a clear indication that radical feminists have been defeated.
- He claims he is fully supportive of women and he did not believe his statements demeaning to them.
- He conceded some women have amazing careers. He complimented them. The examples he gave of two such women were Kellyanne Conway and Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Said they should be celebrated.
- Big media. Big media has become “too many dumb blondes and too many leg dangles.”
- Feminism represents the “radical drug and communal happy-visioned 1960’s.”
- He supported and defended Roy Moore.
Enjoy your day!